Windows Phone 7 bug

Anyone with a Windows 7 phone, and those thinking about buying one, here's a story from Paul Thurrott's WinSuperSite.com you should read very carefully. Pre and Android users should get a vicarious chuckle out of it.

Time to shed some light on a very serious Windows Phone problem

Julie G. writes:

I got my Windows Phone 7 the day it came out, and as of yesterday I completed my first full month of service.  With this phone I do not stream, I hardly surf the internet, I mostly have the location services turned off.  I do have Facebook connected with Windows Live so I do get the updates on the people hub and pictures hub and I do play Bejeweled quite a lot as I am addicted.  I do have my Yahoo mail and Outlook mail synced to the phone.  Beyond those few things, I do not do much else with the phone.

On December 22nd I received an email from AT&T saying that I was close to my 2GB data limit which truly shocked me as I feel I do not use data that much.  I went and looked at my AT&T account online and noticed that my phone was sending huge chunks of data seemingly in patterns.  For instance on November 21-24 it sent between 30 and 50 MB of data at 10:41pm each day and Dec 1-4 it sent between 30 and 50 MB of data at 9:41am each day.  On December 23rd I turned on airplane mode so my phone could no longer send data.  I turned airplane mode off briefly on December 23rd and the phone sent 400 MB of data.  I called AT&T yesterday, December 28th, but they said that there was nothing that they can do to figure out what was happening on my phone.

There's more, but you get the idea.

Yes, this is a curiously common problem, and I'm sort of shocked Microsoft hasn't addressed this publicly yet, either to confirm it or to offer a fix. Basically what's happening is that the phone is utilizing the 3G data connection even when Wi-Fi is available. It's not clear what app(s) or part(s) of the OS is causing this, but it's definitely widely-reported.

Coincidentally to this, I've been tracking my own data usage on the Windows Phone Secrets blog. I suspect my monthly data usage gains are tied to this same problem. I also think this might be tied to Marketplace somehow. But I just don't know for sure.

Microsoft? If this is your fault, as I suspect, you're costing people money on this one.