Re: Well up and running, now anyone know a GUI GRUB Editor?

On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 16:46 -0600, Wolfgang wrote:
> Well I had to install gvim, but did and editted it enough to make it
> better than a 5 sec default OS boot (now set to 20 sec and default is
> Fedora, also Other was changed to Windows 7 Pro).  Now does anyone
> know how to mess with the splash image, this part doesn't seem so
> straightforward.
>
> --
> "You must control your future by taking command of your present, and
> fixing and learning from your past."
>
> "When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."
>
> "Я - тот. Я - всемогущее. Я буду управлять по всем."

Wolfgang,

Actually it should be quite simple. In a Fedora system the grub.conf
file contains this line:

splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

After boot, this location is /boot/grub/, and the file is a gzipped xpm
pix map image 640 x 480 pixels at 72 pixels/inch. You can use gimp to
convert any jpg or other bitmapped image to this size and density, save
it to xpm format, then gzip it. You can give it any name (foo.xpm.gz)
you want as long as your splashimage= line points to it by name.

--Doc