Re: Hard drive testing?

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 17:33 -0600, Wolfgang wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Steven Pritchard <steve@silug.org>
> wrote:
>         On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 03:37:49PM -0600, Wolfgang wrote:
>         > ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH
>         TYPE      UPDATED
>         > WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
>
>         > 197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000
>          Old_age
>         > Always       -       5
>         > 198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000
>          Old_age
>         > Offline      -       5
>

>         That's a bad drive.
>
>         > SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
>         > Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
>          LifeTime(hours)
>         > LBA_of_first_error
>         > # 1  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%
>         970
>         > 31290205
>         > # 2  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%
>         970
>         > 31290205
>         > # 3  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%
>         970
>         > 31290205
>         > # 4  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%
>         970
>         > 31290205
>         > # 5  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%
>         970
>         > 31290205
>         > # 6  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%
>         222
>         > 32454051
>         > # 7  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%
>         220
>         > 32454051
>         > # 8  Conveyance offline  Completed: read failure       90%
>         220
>         > 32454051
>

>         And all those are clear indications of a bad drive.  And it
>         looks like
>         you didn't see the early failures.  (Note the tests at 220
>         hours, then
>         again at 970 hours.)
>
>         If you ran Fedora with this drive connected, it should have
>         screamed at
>         you about a drive failing...
>

>         -
>         To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo@silug.org with
>         "unsubscribe silug-discuss" in the body.
>

> I've been running Windows 7 Pro and Ubuntu 10.10 mostly, neither said
> a thing, any suggested hard drives?  My Western digital might be out
> of warranty from a small scratch from the hard drive cage.
> --
> "You must control your future by taking command of your present, and
> fixing and learning from your past."
>
> "When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."
>
> "Я - тот. Я - всемогущее. Я буду управлять по всем."

Wolfgang,

http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/hard_removable_drives/sata_1tb

The white label refurbs are only warrantied for 6 months, but in my
experience they last as long as the name brands. The Seagate
ST31000528AS 1TB is a 7200rpm speed demon:

http://www.pricewatch.com/search?q=Seagate+ST31000528AS+1TB&gallery=1

--Doc