Re: Hard drive not being recognized in BIOS

On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 09:47 -0500, Wolfgang wrote:
> I was away in Rolla for the last three weeks and got home last night,
> well after restarting my hard drive ceased to be recognized, now the
> only thing I really did was install updates on my windows partitions
> and I experienced no problems while using the computer prior to
> restart.  The hard drive will always spin up, however my HDD activity
> LED may or may not turn on and the hard drive is continually unseen in
> BIOS, even after using every SATA port.  I could afford to purchase a
> new drive, and I could manage without do a recovery, however I'm still
> unsure as to weather there is another component in my system failing,
> also I have no other computer to test my hard drive on, which I fear
> may be part of the issue as my optical drive is having issues trying
> to boot from a live CD occasionally.

Wolfgang,

Sounds like your HDD has suffered an electrical failure. They behave
like light bulbs in that regard. There's a remote chance that swapping
the external printed circuit card with one from an identical make/model
HDD will restore it to full operation. Otherwise I hope you had no
unbacked up data on it because recovery at this point, while possible,
is frightfully expensive.

If you live close enough to The Computer Room, you could try pulling the
hard drive and bringing it in. They can connect it to a SATA-to-USB
adapter and see if one of their computers can detect it. If not, then
the SATA interface is definitely burned out.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL