Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:49:58 -0500
From: "Matthew Thurman" <mgt@jimsfw.com>
To: mwtransport@wisperhome.com
Subject: Re: symlink error

A symbolic link is just a way to have a different and sometimes easier
to remember path so a program can be located where the user would like
but be reachable by a program in a standard location for programatic
reasons. so you would use the ln command with the -s systax to tell it
its symbolic

so if I wanted to have a directory or folder in the /usr/share/Movies
called dvd that would take me to /home/username/Videos

I would from a terminal windows type sudo ln -s /home/username/Videos
/usr/share/Movies/dvd

make sense... I am not trying to over explain it I am just trying to
be clear... sorry if I was overly verbose...

best of luck,

Matthew

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:35:58 -0500

  Craig Ziegel <mwtransport@wisperhome.com> wrote:
» Error  Could not create a symlink to /usr/share/Movies/dvd, the
»local
» MythVideo directory for this hostname (htpc.localhost). Please
»create a
» symlink to your MythVideo directory at data/video in order to use
»the
» video portions of MythWeb.
»
» I have heard you guys talk about symlinks. I don't know how to do
»them,
» could somebody please explain?
»
» --
» Thank You,
»
» Craig Ziegel
» MW Transport Systems
» 773-418-8713
» mwtransport@wisperhome.com
»
» -
» To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo@silug.org with
» "unsubscribe silug-discuss" in the body.
»

--
Thank You,

Craig Ziegel