Re: Annoying Wireless - Suggestions?

I'm using a Linksys AE1000 usb card for 5ghz wireless-n.  I'm using
the rt3572sta driver built from source.

It is a ralink chipset.  Ralink has released source code for linux
support and updates them rather infrequently.  I had to add the usb
dev id to the source and change some of the default build
configuration options for support with wpa_supplicant.  It took a lot
of trial and error, but it now works great using wireless-n on Ubuntu
Lucid.

Occasionally, the card loses connectivity and doesn't reconnect
automatically (I have to take down the wireless interface and bring it
back up to find my wireless-n AP), but this is rare and I haven't had
time to investigate.

I am using wireless-n because I live in an apartment and I stream
high-definition movies over nfs4 to xbmc a distance that I can't
easily conceal cat5e.  If you are just surfing the web, wireless-n
isn't going to give you much benefit.

My suggestion: Use wireless as a last resort.

tim