Re: how to force a terminal

Craig,

I am not sure what distro you are using but likely it is using Grub to
load Linux. This may be over kill but you can boot into single user
mode (aka rescue mode) and will be given a root shell to the system.
You can then correct whatever error if possible (looking at logs) or
set Linux to start in non-X mode.

Here are links to help you:

Apparently Fedora is having technically difficulties with their docs
page as all Google links I clicked on went to the home page of the
docs site. Try using the cached version.
http://www.google.com/search?q=rescuemode

To change Linux to boot to terminal prompt instead of X11 you will
need to change the default run level:
http://www.google.com/search?q=fedora+run+level
Also, note that you can start X11 by using 'init 5' or more temporary
'startx'. Once you get everything working you would want to set the
default run level back to the default (5 for Fedora).

Regards,
Nathan