Re: FC10 to FC11 upgrade

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Steven Pritchard <steve@silug.org> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 07:24:27PM -0600, Steve Reindl wrote:
> Fail! I now have the word "GRUB" with a flashing cursor, unresponsive to the
> keyboard.

So far this is what I've learned. If you upgrade using "preupgrade" make sure your /boot partition is 300MB or there will not be enough room and while the upgrade appears to have worked OK it will fail upon reboot. (Your mileage may vary).

Using the DVD to upgrade will also fail because "preupgrade" has dumped over 100 MB into /boot/upgrade that leaves about 19MB in /boot. (Again your mileage may vary).

Here's how I solved it, I think .. Fedora 12 is installing from DVD as I type .. I downloaded and burned Ubuntu 9.10 live CD. Don't know why I chose Ubuntu, I suppose any live distro will do. I ran the live CD and opened a terminal. Since I can't delete write protected files without root I "sudo passwd root" and changed the root password to something. I went into /media/_boot/upgrade and deleted all the files then backed out and got rid of the upgrade dir and all the files associated with the 2.6.29 kernel, leaving the 2.6.30 stuff.

More to come ....

Steve