tracing mysterious rebooting on centos 5

Hi

So I'm back doing linux stuff after a few years and I ran into a rather
signficant hangup. The system I'm working on is a CentOS 5.4 machine
keeps rebooting at semi-random intervals whenever the iptables rules
change. I'm not currently sure if this is a fault in my iptables rules, a
hardware problem, or the result of a rogue legacy script finding something
amiss and rebooting. The solution I came up with is as follows (with auditd
enabled):

auditctl -a entry,always -S reboot

My only concern is that there might be another way to reboot the system
that isn't using reboot(2). init 6 seems to use reboot(2) and the userspace
reboot command seems to use it as well. Is there another way (outside of
magic sysrq) that the system might be rebooting via software?

Also, is there a better (maybe more obvious) way to be checking for this.
The logs in /var/log aren't very helpful and last & friends just tell me that
a reboot happened, not what caused it.

Thanks,
--
Brandon Joseph Adams
Email: emidln@gmail.com

This is a digitally signed message part.