Re: UNetbootin: Stop Burning Coasters, Boot From a USB Drive

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Nathan Nutter <iam@nnutter.com> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Wolfgang <wolfgangmob@gmail.com> wrote:
I've used that with mixed results, I must say it's very nice but you can run into problems involving flash drive, some brands and models have issues, BIOS not liking that particular flash drive, definitely worth trying out though, I used it to make an XUbuntu flash drive to work on a system that had an optical drive issue.

I just want to point out that this are issues with the hardware not the software. The end result is obviously the same but the solution is to get better/different hardware. Right?

It's not really a question of "better" hardware it's an issue of incompatible hardware, the hardware may work fine with a live CD, but Live USB flash drive is a somewhat newer concept to the point hardware from only a few years ago may not support it properly.  Also, some of the "best" hardware can have compatibility issues, plus the hardware in question that needs to be changed is going to be either a flash drive or a motherboard at the root of the problem so different hardware could not be a solution.  Also, I've always had luck with SanDisk flash drives, never had one have issues with running a Live OS, even my 1GB SanDisk that has lost it's casing works fine with Live OS.

--
"You must control your future by taking command of your present, and fixing and learning from your past."

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."