Network question

I'm guessing that by "hard wired" you mean that the desktop is plugged
directly into the router.

Yes, desktop computer has cat 5 wire from computer network card to
router.  Router is Linksys WRT54G flashed with newest firmware.  Router
was rebooted after flash to renew lease table.   Laptop and server are
on wireless network cards.

Laptop and server are networked and working well.  Could it be that for
some reason the desktop will have to be on wireless to join into the
network?  It's strange that the problem is with the computer that is
hard wired to the router.

So, are you assigning addresses dynamically or are the machines set up
as static?

Addressers assigned dynamically.  I can ping the server from desktop and
desktop from server.

Does your desktop get an address at all?  Can it connect to the router
via your web browser?

Yes and yes.

What OS is the desktop?

Desktop, laptop and server are all Ubuntu 8.10

Everett