Wi-fi signal issues

My computer is using a PCI adapter to connect to my wi-fi network and it consistantly gets latency spikes which makes online gaming suffer, it does not lose the connection entirely, it just randomly pings high.  I was wondering if an antenna upgrade would help fix my issues since my current one is only 2dBi and I would consider getting a 7 or 8 dBi.  Something else of note it does this in both XP Pro x64 and Ubuntu 8.10 x86-64 so it's not due to the OS, and my laptop doesn't get the same issue in XP Home and Ubuntu 8.10 x86.  I would like to know if an antenna would be a good fix before actually spending any money basically.

--
"You must control your future by taking command of your present, and fixing and learning from your past."

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."