Re: RHEL 5.1->5.2 upgrade - part 2 (solved)

  This is a little bit off topic of this thread, but a little bit not . So I want to just throw this out there . We are planning to upgrade about 100 RHEL-32 bit 4u2 servers to RHEL5.2 -64 bit . We have many various applications on them, but namely IBM Websphere and IBM Http Server, Wily, a few other middleware apps like Stellent , etc.

  Which is the easier path ? To upgrade the existing servers, or "build anew" and migrate all of the applications ?

  We recently last year did an Oracle RAC migration , and went from AS 3u2-32 bit to AS 4u4-64 bit, where we used the latter method.

 I'd like to know the group's experience with upgrading or OS migrations .

Thoughts, flames ?

--
#!/usr/bin/rh stop

---- "Robert G. (Doc) Savage" <dsavage@peaknet.net> wrote:

=============
Found it. Most 32-bit plug-ins must be 'wrappered' to function with
64-bit browsers, and the standard tool for this is nspluginwrapper which
implements the 32-bit Netscape plug-in API in 64-bit versions of Mozilla
and Firefox. Somehow my system had gained an "extra" version of this
plug-in:

# rpm -qa | grep nspluginwrapper
nspluginwrapper-i386-0.9.91.5-1
nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.5-21.el5

Yum could remove the second, but not the first. Old fashioned 'rpm -e'
took care of that i386 version. Then 'yum -y install nspluginwrapper'
reinstalled the 64-bit version (same one I'd removed). My 64-bit Firefox
now happily displays both Flash and Shockwave content.

Now on to part 3.

--Doc