Re: Disk Usage question

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 22:23 -0500, Jason Smith wrote:
> I've had an issue like this before but it was related to inodes. I
> currently have a partition that is rather full but there appears to be
> 5 GB that is not being accounted for. Any ideas? The partition is
> ext3.
>
> master:/etc/bind# df -h
> /dev/hda1             111G  104G  502M 100% /home
>
> master:/etc/bind# df -i
> Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/hda1            14663680  128554 14535126    1% /home
>
> Thank you,
> Jason
> --
> Jason Smith
> jvsmith at digitalmatter.us
>
> Nations have recently been led to borrow billions for war;
> no nation has ever borrowed largely for education.  Probably,
> no nation is rich enough to pay for both war and civilization.
> We must make our choice; we cannot have both.
> ~Abraham Flexner
>
> Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army.
> ~Edward Everett

Edward,

By default, the mke2fs partition formatting utility reserves a certain
percentage of total capacity -- the default is 5% -- for the root user.
This is most important for root (/) filesystems, and certain other
filesystems mounted to it. It's hardly important at all for external USB
hard drives. You can use the tune2fs utility to change the reserved
space to 0%:

# tune2fs -m 0 /dev/hda1

Remember, don't do this to your root filesystem.

--Doc