FC7 panics on boot from USB

Hello all,

Has anyone here successfully booted FC7 from a USB thumbdrive?

I installed FC7 to an internal drive and then imaged the partition to
a USB thumbdrive with grub in the MBR.  When I boot from the
thumbdrive, grub comes up and it even loads the kernel.  But then
kernel panics as it cannot mount several items including /dev/root.

I plugged the thumbdrive into my Ubuntu machine to read the grub.conf
and the fstab:

$ sudo grep -v '^#' /media/sdb1/boot/grub/menu.lst
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img

$ sudo grep -v '^#' /media/sdb1/etc/fstab
LABEL=/1                /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0

This post in the forums sound really close to the problem I'm
experiencing, although I'm not using LVM:

I'm wondering if the "/" in the label is causing the problem.

Regards,
- Robert