Re: Remote connections to X apps

On 07/18/2007 02:12 PM, dsavage@peaknet.net wrote:
> Note that ssh's -X and -Y command line options allow X11 forwarding (see
> 'man ssh'). I've started Cygwin's X server on the PC here at work and
> leave it running in background ready to display any X session sent to it.

If you have Cygwin's X server running, verify that it's working.  That
is, open an xterm on the local machine.  Once that xterm is open, type
the following and post the output:

( set -x ; echo -- $DISPLAY -- )

It should look something like this:

+ echo -- :0.0 --
-- :0.0 --

If it does, connect to the remote machine with this ssh command:

ssh -v -X -Y -l <user> <ip_address>

Look for the line that contains "... Requesting X11 forwarding ..." and
post it.

> What other setup/configuration requirements have I missed? For those who
> might ask "Have you enabled X11 forwarding in the server's sshd_config
> file?", the answer is yes.

Can you verify that for us?  That is, type the following command on the
remote host and post the output:

( set -x ; grep -i x11 /etc/ssh/sshd_config )

Regards,
- Robert