Re: ByteWorks, FLOSS, and refurbishing machines

On Jun 15, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Robert Citek wrote:
> I just thought I would send a very informal, casual invitation to
> those of you who like to dabble with Free/Libre/OpenSource Software
> to help out at BWorks.  BWorks "provides opportunities for at-risk
> youth to develop their academic, vocational, and entrepreneurial
> skills, and to become community leaders."  The ByteWorks division
> of BWorks takes older computers, refurbishes them, and gives them
> to youth (4th-8th grade) who have gone through the Earn-a-Computer
> program.
>
> ByteWorks is looking for volunteers that are familiar with Free/
> Libre/OpenSource Software and that are willing to ...
>
> * explore other Linux distros and FLOSS software (e.g. {Edu,Xu,Ku,U}
> buntu, FC5)

ByteWorks just sent home its second class of students with
refurbished machines with Debian and we already have the next batch
ready to go (mostly.)  That means we now have a bit of free time to
evaluate other distros.  So, this Saturday, July 22nd, is the day.

If you have a favorite distro and you think it would be a good fit
for kids in the 9-13 year age range, then please do come down and
show it off at around 1pm.  We'd love to see it.

Hope to see you there.

Regards,
- Robert
robert.citek@bworks.org