Re: OT: SCHOOL for networking and CISCO career

>>> If you want to go into networking, you WILL be working in a "hands-on"
>>> environment... in which case, yes, the CCNA is a very good idea and
>>> can help make you marketable.

A CCNA will be nice, but you will want to have practical knowledge of gear
outside of Cisco as well.  HP switches, Brocade, etc.  Also, look over the
monitoring tools that are used, Open View and things of that nature.

Also get ready to hear the following phrase ALOT, "hmmm...my applications
are running slowly on my PC, STUPID NETWORK IT IS SO SLOW."  Ask them what
they are running and I hear "Excel." way to damned much.

You might want to look at picking up some low end routers and switches off
of ebay.  I would also look into wireless briding/AP/Mesh/whatever as
well, this is where alot of environments are moving because of the mobile
workforce trend that has come around over the past couple of years.

If you don't own it, I would also pick up the following book:
TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201633469/qid=1152587038/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-5223118-4955319?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

There are also a bunch of books out from Cisco Press that you can grab
fairly cheaply at some of the local computer shows.  Grab the ones on
Security and Design for sure.

TIghe

--
Tighe Schlottog         workape         fiaid
"Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense."