Re: Distro Recommendation

When I have only a floppy available, I usually use
debian. The floppy-based installer does a good job of
detecting most pcmcia cards, including many wireless.
Also, all BSD's (Free-, Open- and Net-) have good
floppy-based installers. Also, if you have a laptop
that has an optical drive but just won't boot off of
it, use Smart Bootmanager (google it). It will detect
most cd-roms and allow you to boot off it. I have had
a problem with it where the first time you select the
cdrom it doesn't work the first time. You just select
it a second or third time and then it boots. ANother
option is DSL or Puppy Linux on flash disks (if you
have a USB port). They have floppies use can use to
subsequently boot off the flash disk, and then you can
install to the hard drive.

--- Aaron Call <acall@siu.edu> wrote:

> I have a project laptop: IBM Thinkpad 760DX, Intel
> 166mhz, 64m Ram, and a
> whopping 2.1g hd. The trick is, no bootable optical
> drive and only one
> removable media drive per boot. I am tired of trying
> to get PCMCIA-NIC
> configured so I created a bootable partition on the
> HD; Linux or MS DOS
> (used a floppy to create/install the partition, then
> swap drives and
> reboot).
> So here I am, I need a distro that will run on the
> above specs, preferably
> with some basic graphical desktop, to be used for
> basic
> class-note-taking/websurfing/SSH stuff. I prefer an
> installer but can forgo
> such if there are explicit instructions. I need to
> be able to start any such
> installer from inside a booted OS (as above, either
> DOS, Linux, or Windows).
>
> Any help at all would be great!
> Thanks and Prost!
> Aaron