Re: boot disk and hard disk install

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 21:11 -0600, hbrhodes wrote:
> k, i'm tired of trying.  i'm using the boot disk (because the usb disk
> wouldn't boot up even after telling the bios) to get to my linux install
> screen. i have the usb drive auto detected and i'm selecting /dev/sda1
> for the hard drive.  i'm teling it that the path to fc5 is:
> temp/iso/
>
> it ain't working, and i can't figure it out, i've tried adding on other
> directories like:
> *  repodata
> *  Fedora
> * Fedora/base or RPMS
>
> nothing, how do i work this?

Bentley,

OK... Let me see if I understand your situation

        - You're trying a new (or upgrade) installation
        - Your system is not equipped with an internal CD drive
        - You're using boot.img
                -- Is it burned to a CD or dd'd to a USB drive?
        - You want to do a hard drive install
                -- Are you booting with "linux askmethod" ?
                -- Your ISOs are in a directory (/temp/iso/?) on the
                hard drive
                -- Tell it where the ISOs are, not the RPMS
                        --- The installer is smart enough to mount the
                        ISO images as required and locate the RPMS it
                        needs
        - At boot-time are you certain the hard drive with the ISOS
        is /dev/sda?
                -- Your boot disk with boot.img may be /dev/sda
                -- Have you tried /dev/sdb1 or /dev/sdc1?

If any of this is not correct, please tell us what's different.

If you'll be our eyes & fingers, and tell us *exactly* what you see and
do before it fails to do something you expect it to do, we can probably
help you diagnose the problem and move on.

--Doc