grub, booting a cd from a floppy

Is there a way to boot a CD from a floppy using grub?

At ByteWorks[1] we have a number of machines that don't boot from the
CD-ROM because the BIOS doesn't let us.  As a workaround I thought of
installing GRUB to a floppy and then have it continue booting from
the CD-ROM.

As a positive-control test, I installed GRUB to a floppy on a machine
that can boot from the CD-ROM and that has linux installed on the
harddrive.  That is, if I boot from the harddrive, Ubuntu starts and
if I insert a Knoppix CD and boot from the CD, Knoppix boots.  When I
boot with this boot floppy grub starts just fine.  At the grub prompt
I can specify the root, kernel, and initrd for the harddrive and when
I type boot, Ubuntu starts.  However, I have not been able to specify
the CD-ROM.  If I type 'root (cd)' grub complains with "Error 23:
Error while parsing number."  A google for that message returns this
bug report:

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=12967

which states "RTFM. Not a bug."  A read through the manual suggests
that 'root (cd)' should work:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/index.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/root.html#root

How does one tell GRUB "no, really, there is a CD-ROM device with a
CD in it that contains a linux kernel, honest" ?

Thanks in advance for any pointers in the right direction.

[1] http://stlouis.missouri.org/bworks/programs.html

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent