Knoppix 'stalling'!

Trying to upgrade a friends notebook HD, so I mounted a new 100GB in an
external USB carrier, .. couldn't figure out how to format so I boot
Windoze and formatted the first 20GB FAT32.

Knoppix then saw both the original & new HD just fine, but the copy has
been doing WEIRD things! Every fee seconds the data transfer 'STALLs', so
the total transfer fime for 6.7GB is now over 20 hours.

Anyone ever seen something like this? Recommendations for a solution?

         Thanks!

         Lee