Re: HD Backup

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 01:31 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> And what is journaling?
> Do you even know what journaling does?
> Journaling allows increased recovery time, but it does _not_ necessarily
> guarantee better consistency.

Actually, you should research on how journaling works for NTFS.

Furthermore, you should also research how registry inconsistencies can
break NTFS, because it is dependent on the SAM of the registry (in the
case of non-domain SAM).

That's why transactional registry and NTFS were planned for NT 4.0
"Cario," now the infamous "CarioFS."  It has been reborn into new
vaporware for NT 6.0 "Longhorn" as "WinFS."

I have been following this for over 10 years now, and I'm sure many
people at Microsoft hate me for it.  ;->

With all that said, at what point does Linux handle NTFS journaling?
With _any_ 3rd party add-on for that matter?

You can't completely trust writing to a NTFS filesystem with even
another NT installation (not even the exact same version) that didn't
create it and isn't privy to its same registry-SAM.  Although some of
the newer, (and rather _slow_ ;-) user-space Linux utilities can read
the registry-SAM and preserve some SID/meta-data, I still don't trust
them.

But then again, I've never trusted NTFS much -- and try to limit it's
use to local, fixed disks that never leave a system, and that system is
part of a domain (with a network-wide SAM).

> For a fixed NT disk, sure.
> But for backing up a Linux system, Ext2/3 or UDF.

Again, I want to stress the fact this user was asking about backing up
Linux to a removable disk, but he wanted it readable (possibly writable)
in Windows.  UDF accomplishes this.

Microsoft's documentation is incomplete on its UDF support -- there _is_
write UDF support (just no format utility).  But 99.9% of the
documentation assumes you are talking about DVD-RAM, -RW or +RW drives,
where drive command sets can get drive specific.  For generic fixed
disks (which external drives appear as), UDF rewrite is there.

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com