Re: Remote Desktop Question

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 02:45 -0600, Brandon wrote:
> Is there a remote desktop equivalent for the linux platform?  I would
> like to be able to manipulate my desktop on my linux server using
> windows over Ethernet.  Can this be done?  I know of putty and others
> for SSH but I would like to have the GUI along with the secure shell.

There was a question posed like this on the MythTV list a while back.
One of the suggestions worked for me. I'm running Fedora Core 4 and use
RealVNC from my Windows laptop to access the box. I think it works
pretty good.

Here's what the guy said:

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 00:30 -0400, David wrote:
> Actually, for Fedora Core (and likely other distros with recent VNC
> versions)  you don't even need x11vnc to attach to the current
> screen/session.  Just add:
>
> Load     "vnc"
>
> to your xorg.conf file Modules section and
>
> Option     "passwordFile" "/home/david/.vnc/passwd"
>
> to your Screen section (change the passwd file location as necessary).
> Create the password file using vncpasswd.  VNC passwords are not tied to
> user accounts, so you can use any VNC passwd no matter the user account
> logged in.
>
> Then disable the vncserver process from init.d -- you won't need it
> anymore.  This way you use the stock VNC distro.  It's very slick, and
> performance and resource utilization is much better since you're not
> starting a whole new X session for VNC like you do with vncserver.
>
> David

Here's the link to the thread.
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2005-August/100117.html

Jason