bug 336022 closed but not fixed(broken binutils)

I'm having the same problem described in bug 336022.
After upgrading binutils to the most recent testing version I cannot compile
any kernel other than 2.6.14.
This bug was closed with the recommendation to upgrade you binutils and/or use
a more recent kernel.

I have done both, but the problem remains.

> standard input}:688: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
> {standard input}:689: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
> {standard input}:887: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
> {standard input}:888: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
> {standard input}:967: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
> {standard input}:968: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
> {standard input}:1051: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
> {standard input}:1052: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
> {standard input}:1061: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
> {standard input}:1073: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'

I have tried using gcc-2.95, gcc-3.3, and gcc-4.0.
They all do exactly the same thing.

Interestingly, compiling
linux-2.6.14.
does work, but none of the older kernels do.

This is causing a big problem for us, as it has completely halted all Linux
kernel work in house.

I have verified this against 2 different debian machines(maintained by two
separate people) with the same result

Is anyone else seeing this?

P.S
do you have a searchable archive system other than google?
I have tried to verify that no-one else has reported this, but couldn't find
any easy way to do so concretely.

thank you,
NZG