Re: Excessive quoting

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 17:28 -0500, Mike808 wrote:
> Hey, folks, can we keep the quoting down to a minimum?
> Remember, we all have already gotten the previous message
> you're quoting.

Well, my $0.02 ...

I take the time to edit and thin out and even redirect e-mails as
appropriate.  I know others don't, but I really could care less.  Other
than taking up more disk space in the archives, there's really little
reason to complain.  It takes less than a few seconds to scroll through
an (good) e-mail reader to see the response.

People can equally argue about my spelling, grammar, verbosity --
especially the fact that many of my posts are far longer than over-
quotes of others.  In fact, if you read ESR, he's got a lot to say on
the subject.  In many cases, such of these meta-discussions are just
continuations and do _nothing_ to resolve anything.

> Is it too unreasonable to ask that before you hit send, that you somehow
> strive to make your "post-to-quote" ratio higher than 20%?

No.  But, again, if you read ESR, you don't need to add by responding as
such.  I'm sure I didn't need to respond either.

Now the "Brian & Bryan Show" has been _dead_ for many days now, and
there have been far more commentary, verbage and other follow-up since.
Complaining about a dead thread, the follow-ups and the after-effects is
to just continue a meta-discussion with yet more.

Again, just my $0.02, people need to get some thicker skin here.  My
name is misspelled more than it is correctly -- so much so that I didn't
realize naming "Brian" meant someone else.  But do I take offense?  ;->

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith@ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com