Re: OT: PC burn out.

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> So what happens if you don't use the P4 connector?
> Actually, it shouldn't matter, it won't work without both
> connected.

"last state" settings of the BIOS can do bizarre things.  It's not
uncommon for a board with a bad CPU to power the fans, etc, even without
the P4 or a CPU installed.  I see it all the time.

> If the CPU is damaged, memory is damaged or _anything_else_
> is damaged, the power supply typically doesn't start up
> either.

Totally untrue.  Post code cards would be useful if that were true :)

President, KS Computer Room Inc.	kara@kspei.com
Southern Illinois Linux Users Group	www.silug.org