Fear of the 64, was OT: PC burn out.

> Do not spend money on new parts the same age as you have now.  Socket A is
> gone for good.  We stock a few Socket A boards for repairs, but the last
> of my Socket A processors will likely be gone soon.  Socket 754 (for
> low-need systems) or 939 (for higher needs and upgrade-ability) is where
> any new money should be spent.
I know it, the writing is certainly on the wall.
Shopping for processors I can see all the new AMD 64's down there in the
$70-$90 dollar range. (I don't want to shell out over $200 for a high end
IA32 Intel)
But I still fear the 64 bit processor. I'm running a lot of high end
applications (Java, Eclipse, Transgaming's WineX, etc...) and I am unsure how
well this is going to work in the 64 bit world.

Are my fears unfounded?

NZG.