Re: OT: PC burn out.

> ATX board's power are controlled by the CPU.  With no CPU to tell the
> power supply to kick on, you have no power. Chances are good that your
> motherboard is still good.
I don't want to get too argumentative here( I really do appreciate all your
advice) but is this true?

The ATX power supply on my machine will come on %100 of the time with no
processor installed, provided I don't plug in that 4 pin connector.

On the embedded IA32 systems I've worked on (About Pentium class) The ATX
power control is actually located in the "super IO" chip, which is integrated
into the South Bridge in more modern architectures, correct?

This would indicate that the chipset would be responsible for controlling the
ATX supply and not the CPU.

Am I off on this?

thx,
NZG.