Re: OT: PC burn out.

Hi NZG,

If you didn't smell or see any smoke, and there are no visible signs of burns, why are you assuming that your CPU+Motherboard are "burned" out ? More than likely, you have a bad power supply.

Have you tried plugging your PC into another electrical outlet?

Do you have a surge protector and or UPS Battery Backup System in front on your PC ?

If so, I'd say a power surge is probably unlikely to kill a CPU & Motherboard, unless possibly you had a bad electrical storm w/lightning.

What is the wattage of the Power supply, and how many peripherals are on the PC?

If you are able to power it on, you should hook up a simple multi-meter, set it to 20 V DC, connect the leads to a free molex power supply connector:

  - red 2 red
  - black 2 black

Should get a reading of 5V

  -red 2 yellow
  -black 2 black

Should get a reading of 12v

If you are getting anything that is 15% above or below the 5V or 12V, (> 5.25 or < 4.25) OR (>13.8 or < 10.2) try replacing the power supply first. (It will be cheaper than replacing the motherboard & CPU also)

If you replace the power supply, might want to get a power supply with a higher wattage rating.

To test your any Intel Based Motherboard, and CPU (AMD incl.) you can download the free eval version of "Tuff Test Pro Lite" that has no time limit or restrictions for use.

http://www.tufftest.com/tt01-lite.htm

This diagnostics program runs from a boot floppy, that bypasses any OS, and runs in its own self-proprietary OS(written is assembler), and communicates directly to the PC hardware. So it doesn't have to go thru the layers of the Operating System(any OS) to get feedback form the hardware.

I've used this utility for the last 6 years or so, on many many Intel based boxes, only time it doesn't work properly is when CPU has really been damaged.

HTH,

Roger H.