Re: Linux Network Performance and Measurement

Title:
At a Minimum, BandWidth/Throughput tests.  I.e. if it's a 11Mb Wireless Link, I'd like to MAX out that 11Meg link for around 5min or so to test it's capabilities and then to be able to give a bit rate or report.

Anything else it can do, or report would be great.

In the past I've just used HTTP or FTP downloads and relied on the Web Browser to report it's 'rate'.  I know all the pros and cons of doing it this way, that's why I'm looking at other means to get the same data and more.

fiaid@quasi-sane.com wrote:
What stats are you specifically looking for in particular?  That would be
a big help in pointing you towards a specific tool.

Tighe

I just started looking into finding some software for Network
Performance and Measurement.  Someone pointed me to a product call
Chariot (Windows Only), which I'm in discussions with that company now.
However, I can't help but think there's a Linux version that could do
the same or better than most of these 'bells and whistles' of the
Windows Only software.

I've looked at caida.org, specifically
http://www.caida.org/tools/taxonomy/performance.xml#bw, however I
thought I might ask the group to see if anyone has any suggestions or
has done this before and if so with what products and with what success
and/of troubles.

Thanks in advance.
--
Scott Smith
Network Engineering Services

Tighe Schlottog         workape         fiaid
"Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense."
-- Anonymous