Re: LV attribute question

Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

>I just bought a Seagate Momentus (120GB, 5400rpm) hard drive to replace
>a 48GB TravelStar that's been throwing SMART errors. I'm trying to
>re-create anaconda's default FC4 LVM2 structure on the new drive then
>rsync everything over, but it's been slow slogging.
>
>With the new drive connected as /dev/sdb via USB2, I can't get the
>attributes to match up:
>
>  # lvs
>  LV       VG         Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Copy%
>  LogVol00 VolGroup00 -wi-ao  43.56G
>  LogVol01 VolGroup00 -wi-ao   1.00G
>  LogVol10 VolGroup10 -wi-a- 110.68G
>  LogVol10 VolGroup10 -wi-a-   1.00G
>
>What's the "o" attribute and how is it set???
>
>The following steps got me where I am now:
>  1. # fdisk /dev/sdb
>       Command (m for help): n<ew partition>
>         Command action: p<rimary partition (1-4)>
>         Partition number (1-4): 1
>         First cylinder (1-14593, default 1): 1
>         Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (1-14593, default 14593): 13
>       Command (m for help): n<ew partition>
>         Partition number (1-4): 2
>         First cylinder (14-14593, default 14): 14
>         Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (14-14593): 14593
>       Command: t<ype partition>
>         Partition number (1-4): 2
>         Hex code (type L to list codes): 8e <Linux LVM>
>       Command: w<write>
>  2. # partprobe
>  3. # mke2fs /dev/sdb1
>  4. # dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=2048
>  5. # pvcreate /dev/sdb2
>  6. # vgcreate VolGroup10 /dev/sdb2
>  7. # lvcreate -L 110.68G -n LogVol10 VolGroup10
>  8. # lvcreate -L 1G -n LogVol11 VolGroup10
>
>-- Doc
>Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
>Fedora Core 4 kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 on a P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
>            ** Bob Costas for Baseball Commissioner **
>

>-
>To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo@silug.org with
>"unsubscribe silug-discuss" in the body.

my personal thoughts on usb2 hard drives is that they corrupt data
transfer no matter how many times you do it.  probably not what you
want, but i thought i would let you know my experience.  i would
transfer mp3's or ogg files and it would take one song and give it
twelve different song titles of a different album.  example, i wanted to
play my collective soul album, song #3 'why part II'.  it ended up being
divided into twelve different parts of the cranberries album 'zombie'.
now picture 15 gigs of OGG files and this happens sporadically.