Re: [silug-discuss]

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 17:35 -0500, bentley rhodes wrote:
>

>>    does anyone know can i use the terminal to print odd and even pages
>>from a openoffice.org text document to my printer?  or will i get
>>gibberish?  i found the HOWTO on www.tldp.org that tells me how to do it
>>from the command prompt, but it (or another) warns of printing a pdf
>>file to the printer directly.  so i wondered if it applied to the 1.9
>>OOo as well.
>>    i tried setting the cups graphical printer to (filters) "page-set" =
>>"even", but when i applied it and then went to the writer program it was
>>tallying up all the pages and not just the even ones.
>>

>I use various print tools to send ps/pdf to printers all-the-time.
>
>E.g., I typically write my books on 7.0" x 8.5" pages.  When I go to
>print them, I sometimes want to be able to take the original ps/pdf and
>generate a PDF of page 1 and 4 on the front, and page 2 and 3 on the
>back, of a single 14" x 8.5.  That's how you soft-bind books (after a
>fold).
>
>I also like to use tools to resize the 7.0" x 8.5" output to 8.5" x 11"
>pages for typical office binding as well, in the regular order.

did you say you soft fold books?  i'm making my print outs on 4.5" by 8"
(i think).  i'm taking 8.5" X 14" paper and then cutting them in thirds,
i drill straight through top to bottom, and bind them with hemp or
thread (i'm using thread now).  sometimes i fold the sheets five thick
and punch holes in them, and then sew them together and make a front and
back plates, and cover them.  just wondering what you do.

i guess using the PDF format is best though.  how do you use either OOo
writer, or GGV to print 1 and 4 on the front, 2 and 3 on the back?