Re: FC4/x86_64 and ALSA: [long] noise and distortion

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 06:54:59AM -0700, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Correct.  You're reducing the amount of I/O traffic
> by 83% (1/6th) by turning off the 3D spacial aspects.

Er, wouldn't 1/6 be 16.7%?  83% is 5/6.

> Because the Emu10k driver in Windows off-loads to the
> on-board DSP better.  The Linux driver is not quite as
> good, hence the increased PCI utilization.

This doesn't explain the same behavior across my intel8x0 and the
es1370, though.  If the rest of these devices fall victim to the same
thing, there must be some sort of laziness or pinheadedness that I'm not
quite getting here.

ALSA had this same problem back in 2002.  It's now 2005, and it still
sucks in this regard.  What gives?

Nevertheless, I'll go ahead and try turning off all of the 3D stuff (if
it exists) on my emu10k1 the next time I think about sticking it in
here when I have the machine down for some reason.

--
Nathaniel Reindl    http://www.corvidae.org/
    unemployed monkey (hire me!) and college student