Re: Disgusted with DSL

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, JohnH wrote:

> Thanks Bryan
> I was not aware of hubs/switches that would act as a funnel for all of my
> computers (8-10 of them so far) to use DSL.

Not exactly a funnel - the router is tecnhnically the 'funnel'. The Linux
box (or other DHCP provider - many times also the router) will issue IP
addresses to any machines on the local subnet, the NAT service on the
router translates *all* internal IPs to the external IP of the router.

There is no physical limit to the internal computers, only sanity and the
amount of bandwidth available.

The discussion was more about providing some sort of *security* to the
internal network (i.e. IPCop).

> I try my best to experiment with Linux, but more then half are Windows 3.11,
> 95, 98 & XP

Makes no difference really - as long as each machine properly requests
DHCP information (including default gateway (the router) and DNS servers).

	Lee