OT?:VOIP/Skype in Southern Illinois

For some time now, I have ditched the traditional land line in favor of cell
phones and cable internet.

Now I'm looking into getting a cheap solid connection at home and have been
researching alternatives.

Skype seems nice, and pretty reasonable,
It's got a debian packagefor free computer to computer calls, and fairly
inexpensive packages allowing you to talk with normal numbers.

With all the VOIP hype, I thought I'd look into that too.
Mediacom appears to be denying it's existence, which is strange since I could
swear I saw an ad for it on their website a month or so ago.
But I can't find anything about it now, other than some blog stuff saying it
costs around $30 and is unreliable.

What is everyone else using?

NZG.