Re: Wanting opinions...

The claims are outrageous, but aren't terribly unpopular. I know a
number of IT professionals who share not neccessarily the same exact
points as the author, but at least the same sentiment. Most of this is
due to experience and comfort level. I personally work in an all-Windows
environment - not by my own choice of course. :-) If things were to
change and I was able to put Linux into the works, I would, but not
across the board, because my knowledge of Linux would not allow me to
fix arising problems rapidly. Unfortunately, I do work for a boss who
expects results overnight.
Similarly, I know there are many, especially the older crowd, who herald
Unix simply because their comfort level with the OS is greater than that
of Linux. I can't really change this. People generally work under time
constraints and don't have time to learn a new OS. It's easier for
people who have been working with Linux for years to say that it is a
better OS. You've been using it, and you know what to do to make it
work. My personal issue with Linux is that it offers little to no clues
on how to make it operate and how to configure it. In Windows, it's
usually right there in front of you, and not buried behind an archaic
text command like "help," or require a Google search. I imagine that
there are some experiences out there for Unix fans that make them see
basic features of Linux as flaws as well. It's just that I don't abandon
Linux altogether because I know the problem isn't the OS. It's my
expectation that I will be able to make Linux operate and configure just
as quickly as Windows, even when I don't know what the heck I'm doing.
Do I have any complaints about Windows? Yes. Do I have any about Linux?
Yes. Do I have any about UNIX? Yes. But do I discount any of these three
OSes? No. Ultimately, I realize that I am going to have to deal with
different aspects of operational issues in every OS, but that's only
because I didn't design in how I wanted everything in the OS to function
myself. I wouldn't have time to do so if I wanted to, so I just deal
with it.

-Aaron Kenney