Re: OT: Summer Jobs

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 21:55 -0500, Mark wrote:
> Hello,
> Anyone know of a good place for a 16 year old to look for a technical
> summer job.  I'd like to find a job where I can learn something and stay
> away from flipping burgers.  Any ideas, let me know please.

Go down to the local community college or university and look at the job
boards.  In many cases, as long as you are at least 16, they should look
at you little different than a freshman or sophomore who is still yet an
undecided major.

At least that's what I would view you as if I was the hiring manager.  I
would also interview you over lunch and make sure I had at least an hour
with you to see how you act -- especially in a social setting.  The
problem with some 16 year-olds in a corporate environment is that they
are -- well -- 16**.  ;->  It's finding the more rare jewel of a 16
year-old that are ready to shed high school.  They are willing and ready
to become professionals.

BTW, although I loathe certifications, if you are having trouble finding
work, spend this summer studying for and taking a few certification
exams so you'll be in a better position next summer.  Buy some books
from Amazon.COM, take a few of the ultra-easy CompTIA exams -- A+ and
Network+ are a great start.  Expect to spend a bit of money in books and
the exam fees though, so parental input might be required.

-- Bryan

**NOTE:  At the same time, don't be in a hurry to grow up too fast.
I've been working part-time since 14, including almost all summers, and
near full-time since ever hitting college.  Sometimes I wish I would
have stopped and enjoyed things a bit more as a kid.  If you see a man
walking into KB Toys, Toys'R Us, etc... without a child and he's smiling
way to much merely to be shopping for his child, then it's a good chance
it's me.  I've also been known to come how and "relieve tension" by
building stuff with Legos instead of getting on my computer.  Yeah, I
know, it's funny, I kinda have a dual-personality -- one that is age 8,
one that is age 28.  Yeah, I know some of you already guessed that
too.  ;->

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org