Re: Mid-sized companies not interested in Linux - report

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 08:44 -0500, Joe Tosetti wrote:
> I started small.  Anytime the company wanted to upgrade a windows server
> that is not integrated into Active Directory I tried to replace it with
> a Linux box.  Now all of our perimeter servers run Linux. (DNS, Mailing
> list, SMTP gateway, etc.)

Especially since even Exchange 2003 has the _exact_same_ ESMTP service
that I found numerous bugs in back in 1999 (due to extremely faulty
RFC822 parsing issues), and have been trying to tell Microsoft about
since (they finally got serious with me late 2003, but to little
effect).  _Never_ put Exchange ESMTP at your border -- _never_.

> Once the company saw how well they worked I've been able to move a few
> internal servers as well.

Fill the need.  Nothing says more than filling the need and showing the
stability.

> The main thing is to make sure Linux fits the roll and integrates
> seamlessly.  If your boss is worried about Linux, the last thing you
> need is the first server to cause problems.

Yep.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
Community software is all about choice, choice of technology.