Re: Mid-sized companies not interested in Linux - report

On Wednesday, Apr 6, 2005, at 15:15 US/Central, Tom Dison wrote:
> And this is the attitude that kept companies locked
> into AS/400, Dos Apps, Cobol, etc. In the short-term,
> and maybe even the mid-term, the logic is sound.
> Businesses exist to make dough (especially Panera),
> not keep I.T. people stimulated. However, everyone
> needs to keep an eye out for the obsolescence monster.
> You'd be surprised how appealing
> an "already coded" new solution is to creating a
> "yet-to-be coded" old solution.

And equally true:

$ { cat <<.
You'd be surprised how appealing an "already coded" new solution is to
creating a "yet-to-be coded" old solution.
.
} | sed -e 's/new //g' -e 's/old //g'

You'd be surprised how appealing an "already coded" solution is to
creating a "yet-to-be coded" solution.

So the "trick" would be to implement LDAP+Kerberos before
ActiveDirectory gets installed.  Implement an e-mail server before
Exchange gets installed.  Implement Samba before a Windows file server
gets installed.  Implement DNS, DHCP, and NTPD before the Windows
equivalent gets installed.  Implement Jabber before some MS IM server
gets installed.  Install OOo, FireFox, and Thunderbird on Windows 98/95
machines before Windows 2000 or WinXP gets upgraded.

In short, show the business people the path.  It's what sales people do.

On a related note, has anyone read this book:

   http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxwinworld/toc.html

Looks like a good How-To on integrating Linux in a Windows workplace.
And it looks like one should be able to do it entirely with Knoppix.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent