Re: Still having troubles with a server's static IP...

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 18:43 +0000, Ken Keefe wrote:
> I am still having a problem with my server switching to DHCP. It is very
> odd. I (think I) have eth0 set up as a static IP address, however after
> running for about a week it drops its static IP and grabs a dynamic one.
> I am using FC3.
>
> I have noticed that dhclient is running on the system for some reason
> and this is the command that was given to start it... Hopefully it will
> provide a clue as to what is going on.
>
> /sbin/dhclient -1 -q -lf /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases -
> pf /var/run/dhclient-eth0.pid eth0

Ken,

The dhclient should definitely not be running if you're configured to
use a static IP. Are there any clues in dmesg or /var/log/messages?

If you own the DHCP server, you might work around the problem by
reserving your server's IP address and allow it to be assigned only by a
DHCP request from the MAC address of your server's NIC. Add the
following line to your /etc/dhcpd.conf file after the range statement:

   host [servername] { hardware ethernet xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx ; fixed-
address nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn; }

At least this will ensure that when your server switches to DHCP, it's
IP address won't change.

Is this by any chance an upgrade from a previous version? Or is it a
fresh install? This behavior makes me think there's some old errant
config file mucking things up.

--Doc