Re: oh boy, oh boy, oh boy

Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 05:32 -0600, sreindl@apci.net wrote:
>

>>This looks pretty cool. If it would only break the spammer's fingers too.
>>
>>http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/fairuce
>>

>Steve,
>
>My gut feeling when I saw this was that "returning serve" in this way
>was probably not the best counter-spam strategy, particularly when so
>many spam senders are compromised broadband systems. FairUCE is a
>capability that corporate counsels would probably nix because of the
>high potential for expensive litigation spawned by just one wrongfully
>rejected piece of legitimate e-mail correspondence. Murphy is alive and
>well (and in hiding).
>
>--Doc
>

>-
>To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo@silug.org with
>"unsubscribe silug-discuss" in the body.

Yet IBM still claims the technology doesn't target the compromised
system, that it works on network layer, and has the capability of
tracing the source. If this tech does it's detection by some sort of
data link layer proprietary method, in theory it could work. It just has
to have some way of puzzling all of the cooresponding packets on various
compromised systems back to the source. Sounds difficult, but you know
IBM is due.
-Aaron Kenney