Re: Copywrites and the GNU

On Monday, Mar 21, 2005, at 11:27 US/Central, NZG wrote:
> Why to so many GNU C files start with
>
> Copyright (c) <date> <author>
> Immediately followed by the GNU license.
>
> Does this make sense?

Yes.

> Doesn't the GNU license void any type of Copywrite?

No.

> Or are the two concepts somehow separate?

Yes, but related.  One is the copyright, a claim of ownership.  The
other is the license, a description of what rights you are granting to
others.  Another variation of copyright and license is the following:
Copyright <date> <author> - All rights reserved.  In both cases, the
combination of copyright and license is akin to saying "I own this and
allow you to do the following with it."

For more info, see ...

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License
   http://gnu.org
   http://www.opensource.org/
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free/Libre_Open_Source_Software

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent