problem ... experimenting

hey i was experimenting with my HOME folder, i made a backup first, and
the experiment didn't work.  long story short, somehow, my usb drive
thinks that ROOT owns all the files.  they originally belonged to me.
root moved them and i didn't.  how do i put them back to me?  i'm trying
  the following:

chown -R (or -Rv) bntly_rhds /media/TYEBLEN/bntly_rhds/
chgrp -R (or -Rv) bntly_rhds /media/TYEBLEN/bntly_rhds/
chmod -R u+rwx,g+rw-x,o+r-wx

it says (with -Rv) that i'm not allowed (even as root) to change the
user ID or group ID of the folders, and or files.