Re: rivafb module

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 01:25:07PM -0600, Ken Keefe wrote:
> So, I am tweaking my new Fedora 3 installation on my laptop and I
> downloaded nVidia's driver script, because the nvidia driver that comes
> packaged with FC3 wasn't using direct rendering and GL apps were slow.

OK, stop right there...  If you are running FC3, you *really* don't
want to use the nvidia installer.  Point apt or yum at rpm.livna.org's
testing repository (and stable while you are at it, but right now you
definitely need testing) and install kernel-module-nvidia-`uname -r`.

> On that note, when you system is completely locked. Is there any safe
> way to shut it down? I have been having to hard power it down when it
> locks up. Is there any fancy super secret keyboard shortcut to safely
> unmount the filesystems and reboot?

Make sure "kernel.sysrq = 1" is set in /etc/sysctl.conf (run "sysctl
-p" after changing it the first time).  After that, Alt-SysRq-S will
sync everything and Alt-SysRq-B will reboot.  (SysRq is also known as
Print Screen.)  U would unmount everything, but you probably don't
really want/need that if you are running a journalling filesystem.

(618)398-3000             | See web site for meeting details.