Sticky permissions on files...

So, I have written a script that when run swaps two config files and
restarts a service. Now, I'd like any user on my system to have the
ability to use it. However, to write to the directory that the config
files are in the user must be root. My understanding is that once you do
the following, anyone who runs that script will temporarily have the
same rights as root. So here's my test script:

#!/bin/sh
echo "I am `whoami`"
echo "Test" > /root/temptest

And I used the following chmod statements:

chmod 775 myscript
chmod u+s myscript

This left the file with the permission signature of:

-rwsrwxr-x   1 root root    433 Jan 27 23:46 myscript

Which is exactly what I was expecting, however when I run the script I
get exactly what I am not expecting...

[kaje@localhost bin]$ ./myscript
I am kaje
./myscript: line 3: /root/temptest: Permission denied

What is the deal???

Ken