Re: RHE vs. Fedora

First off, I would go with CentOS instead of White Box.
It is far more formal and has far more resources.

As far as Fedora Core v. RHEL SRPM rebuilds, here's the deal.
RHEL is largely a delayed release clone of Fedora Core,
minus some locale support.

Fedora Core releases packages before they are added to RHEL, or sometimes simultaneously.
RHEL SRPM rebuilds release packages after the RHEL SRPM release,
and after various trademark and other editing has been done.

So it's up to you what you want to do.
Do you want to maintain your own configuration management with Fedora Core?
I.e., when a new Fedora Core update comes out,
do you wait until the same version makes it into RHEL to install it?
Or do you want after a RHEL SRPM comes out, and wait on a 3rd party to rebuild it?

I like Fedora Core because it solves the trademark issue,
and *I* decide when to install an update.
I can choose to do it right away, or wait until RHEL updates to the same.
If I use a RHEL SRPM rebuilder, I have to wait on them, not only well after Fedora Core, but RHEL too.

--
Bryan J. Smith (currently mobile)
b.j.smith@ieee.org