Re: enlightenment question

On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 08:03, Ray McCord wrote:
> Enlihtenment DR0.16.6 is out, you can use it as the Window Manager for
> GNOME or KDE. However, it is more useful in its role as the high-end
> of a standalone window managers. Using it with Eterm (terminal) and
> EFM (file manager), both from the Enlightenment Project, can be very
> productive.

I was wondering how EFM was progressing.  It's been a bit since I looked
at its early development.

> This is especially true if you find yourself using a lot
> The themeing ability of eterm (and the window manager itself) give you
> enough eye candy to let you know you are still working with a
> late-model computer ;)

Enlightenment definitely has the attribute options for eye candy.

> The real development is being done on the Next Big Thing(TM) in
> graphical interface implementation. The project has developed a
> multitude of highly advanced and portable graphical libraries and
> complimentary graphical tools as a prerequisite to building the next
> version of Enlightenment, DR17.
> DR17 will be a 'desktop shell', consisting of the next-generation
> window manager, application framework, interprocess communication
> mechanisms, and core development tools built on top of the advanced
> libraries. When the new window manager is completed, to tie all of
> this together, it will represent a significant leap in GUI technology
> on a multitude of platforms.

Does it use FreeDesktop Cairo then?
I.e., grahpics framebuffer stored/controlled widges akin to Apple
QuartzExtreme?

> Many applications have already been written using this foundation. The
> results are astounding, and can only get better. Many innovations are
> here and on the way.

Sounds like Cairo.

> Keep in mind, the project does not aim to compete with GNOME or KDE.
> Many of the libraries, like EVAS, already have GTK and QT bindings to
> allow interoperation with these environments. The goal here is to push
> the envelope, not crash the party.

Of which Enlightenment is one of the very few Window Managers that is
_both_ GNOME _and_ KDE aware.  The majority I've seen are either one or
the other.

> Correction: It is Kwin :)

Thanx.

> FYI: there are Enlightenment applications to cover these requirements,
> were DR17 ever wanting to become a full-blown DE. :)
> Those would be:
> - Entrance (Session Manager)
> - Enlightenment Window Manager
> - Evidence (File manager)

Very cool indeed.

> Notice a trend? GNOME has "G" apps, KDE had "K" apps, Enlightenment
> has "E" apps. Isn't it lovely? ;)

Yep.

> To read up on the reborn Enlightenment Project and find links to
> third-party "E" app sites, go to: http://enlightenment.org/

Yeah, I need to get familiar again.  I hate Metacity, but just haven't
put forth the effort to care yet.  But Metacity was created for a
reason, to avoid duplication with GNOME, unlike Sawfish before it.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux