Re: motherboards and such -- server v. desktop, case, PS,

On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 01:11, bentley_rhodes wrote:
> hey, last time i tried to email you it said there was an error.  i was
> wondering what kind of motherboards and such that you guys have, and towers.

If you are talking servers, read this article first:
  http://www.sysadminmag.com/documents/sam0411b/

Then we can talk about various Opteron solutions.

For a home/gamer system, I wrote an article on our PC Support list:
http://lists.leap-cf.org/pipermail/pc_support/2004-December/000048.html

It includes recommendations on case, PS, mainboard, video, storage,
audio and speakers.

BTW, I also did my analysis of the nForce4 here:
http://lists.leap-cf.org/pipermail/leaplist/2005-January/000532.html

Outside of the nForce4 chipset-integrated NIC (there is typically an
off-chipset NIC for dual-NICs total), Linux support seems to be
excellent.  Most everything else I list is Linux supported except for
the GeForce 6200 (6600/6800 series _are_ supported) with nVidia 1.0-6629
drivers.

Same goes for the LG GSA-4160B SuperDrive DVD-RAM/R/RW/+R/+RW drive.
You can write DVD-R and rewrite DVD-RAM discs with the _stock_
CDRTools2.0+DVD-patch that ships in Fedora and a number of other distros
(and don't have to get ).  Haven't tried the DVD+RWTools, but I bet they
work too.

[ SIDE NOTE:  I typically _avoid_ +R because it is still an MO
technology, whereas -R is WORM (near-universally compatible) and -RAM is
massively more reliable MO (for long-term archiving).  Yes, +R is _not_
MO, long story.  And both +RW/-RW are not worth the error rate and
reduced compatibility over -R. ]

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux