Re: Kernel Patches?

What is a vul?

Compiling the Linux kernel from source the first time is a little
intimidating. Before you start I suggest reading a HOWTO on the Linux
kernel. I found one here:
http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

The Linux kernel source code includes a file named README that gives
directions on how to patch the kernel. Here is a snippet from Redhat's
Linux kernel version 2.4.22-1.2199.nptlsmp:

You can also upgrade between 2.4.xx releases by patching.  Patches are
   distributed in the traditional gzip and the new bzip2 format.  To
   install by patching, get all the newer patch files, enter the
   top level directory of the kernel source (linux-2.4.xx) and execute:

               gzip -cd ../patch-2.4.xx.gz | patch -p1

   or
               bzip2 -dc ../patch-2.4.xx.bz2 | patch -p1

   (repeat xx for all versions bigger than the version of your current
   source tree, _in_order_) and you should be ok.  You may want to remove
   the backup files (xxx~ or xxx.orig), and make sure that there are no
   failed patches (xxx# or xxx.rej). If there are, either you or me has
   made a mistake.

--

Tom Conder                                       http://www.gazpacho.net/